In typical societal norms, most men propose to their women. It is not abnormal for a woman to propose to their man but it is not as common.
However, regardless, proposing to a future spouse must be memorable.
This is a moment that your significant other has been waiting for their entire lifetime. Proposal ideas should be creative, enjoyable, and meaningful.
1. When you want to propose to who you hope will be your future mate, you do not have to spend a ton of money or be completely elaborate.
– It is not necessary that you have a flash mob coordinated in Times Square in New York (even though that is completely adorable).
– Your significant other would probably appreciate a proposal, that is a little more thoughtful than a text message that says, “Hey, let’s get married.”
– Think about some of your common interests or some things that you both enjoy and make a proposal for marriage one that is special and unforgettable with a little bit of meaning to the both of you.
2. If you want to propose and get engaged, make sure both of you are on the same page. Surprise engagements are really cool and romantic but if your significant other has no idea that you want to marry them, you are at risk to being shut down which could lead to hurt feelings and sometimes maybe even an end to the relationship entirely.
So if you want to propose, at least have talked about marriage so you know that it is more likely that your significant other will say “YES!”
3. A thoughtful proposal takes a lot of preparation if you really want to make it elaborate. As if popping the big question is not stressful enough, right?
– Think about a few things before you really consider how you want to ask your partner to marry you. Does the love of your life like a big crowd of people or would they prefer something a little more intimate?
– Some cool ways to propose in front of a big audience would be to put it on a big screen scoreboard at a sporting event or on a mega screen at a concert, depending on your interests.
– A more intimate way of proposing might be simply writing “Will you marry me?” in the sand or snow.
– Write your proposal on the sidewalk in chalk and just do it at home
– Have a small gathering with friends or family, or even at a private restaurant.
– Keep in mind who you are really trying to impress.
– Big crowds could make your significant other feel pressured and nervous but it really is a personal thing.
4. Think about the type of engagement ring your significant other would like.
– You might go to the jewelry store and just browse to get an idea without being completely obvious.
– Some people even have their significant other go ahead and pick it out but do not know when or if they will be proposed to.
– It is also simple to just look online and ‘window shop’ to see the style your partner likes.
– Your significant other might want an engagement ring that is big and sparkly or they might just want something that is simple.
Memorable and Cool Proposal Ideas
– One good way to propose to your partner would be to do a scavenger hunt. Create fun clues and you can do this in your own home or even in your favorite city. Little puzzles should be meaningful clues to the both of you so it makes sense to your partner and is sentimental.
– Do something personal and be creative. Is her favorite candy little drops of chocolate? Spell out “Marry me?” in those little chocolate drops on the table for her to come home to.
– If your first date was to a Mexican restaurant, give your proposal day or evening a Mexican theme.
– If your partner loves the beach, put a little sand in the yard and a small pool and write your question in the sand.
– You can always drop the ring into a glass of champagne but make sure your partner sees it first!
– You might even take a collage of photos of your time together and create a book or movie and at the end, have a message of “Will you be my happily ever after?” and be ready with the ring.
– Are you outdoorsy people? Go for a hike and have a picnic set up with candles ready and go on an exciting outdoor journey where you have carved into a tree your initials and the question “4Ever?” at the end.
– Perhaps you are both avid skiers. You can make sure to have prepared to have it written in the snow a cute nickname that you call your significant other and while on a ski lift, they see it as you pass overhead and then be ready with the ring.
– If you have decided to incorporate friends or family, arrange to have a gathering and make sure everyone keeps a tight lip about your big secret.
– Have your friends and family hold a sign with your message in order to propose.
– You might even be able to do a small scale flash mob where you are in a crowd and you have arranged for friends and family to appear. While your partner watches the flash mob, it is time to get ready with the ring.
– You might also consider planning a game night and play trivia. Turn the trivia question into something where your partner is ready to answer and simply while holding a customized trivia question that looks legit, and say, “Your question is: Will you be mine forever?”
The Key to a Good Proposal
Make it sentimental and unforgettable and definitely not awkward.
When you show that you have put thought into the proposal, it shows that you really went the extra mile to make your significant other feel special and since is a huge moment in both of your lives, you want to make sure that your partner will know that they will be special forever.
The more thought you put into it and the more personable it is, can often actually take the stress off asking the question itself so you can focus on the details of the proposal instead of just stressing over what the answer might be.